A God of Love or a God of Atrocities and Murder?
by mike mcclellan
The Bible’s stories of Biblegod’s atrocities and massacres abound. They’re about Biblegod’s anger, and how He deals with people who break His rules. It also about people who didn’t break His rules but were standing too close.
The stories relate a clear a sense of God’s injustice, lack of mercy and absence of love for mankind.
(After you read these Bible stories. . . you may want to leave the lights on.)
THE PASSOVER – Massacre of Thousands of Innocents
Biblegod speaks: “On that same night I will pass throughEgyptand strike down every firstborn–both men and animals–and I will bring judgment on all the gods ofEgypt. I am the LORD.” (Exodus 12:12)
“At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. Pharaoh and all his officials and all the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt, for there was not a house without someone dead.” (Exodus 12:29) (Italics mine)
The two paragraphs above are from Exodus 12:12 and 12:29. While they aren’t the first references to Biblegod’s temper and disposition with regard to killing, they go a long way in telling the story of how Biblegod acted and reacted to situations.
According to the Bible, Pharaoh had subjected the Israelites (God’s “chosen”) to terrible conditions inEgypt, working them as slaves and giving very little mercy or none to them.
As the story goes, Biblegod instructed His “chosen” to smear the blood of a lamb on their door. Biblegod would then ‘passover’ that house and not kill the firstborn of the family (including the livestock). As for the rest ofEgyptand Egyptian families all the firstborn would die.
Egyptwas a country with families. In each family, the age of the firstborn would have varied. There would have been new born infants, toddlers, young children, middle age and older adults as well as the extremely elderly, all qualifying as first born. That’s not to mention the cattle, sheep, and other first born livestock the families owned.
Then there were the prisoners in jail. Apparently some of them were firstborn since the Bible mentions them too.
At any rate – all the firstborn were killed. While all life is precious, the death of newborn infants and children is never easy to think of.
The infants, the children and the prisoners had absolutely no way of smearing blood on their doors. The were complete victims to be killed, because of their birth status, by Biblegod who allegedly loves His creation more than anything.
Its difficult to realize the love our caring Biblegod had for mankind after reading of such a violent, horrific act. But read on. You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!
Kill All The Boys And Kill Every Woman Who Has Slept With A Man
1 The LORD said to Moses,
2 “Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people.”
5 So twelve thousand men armed for battle, a thousand from each tribe, were supplied from the clans ofIsrael.
7 They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man.
9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder.
10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps.
11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals,
13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp.
14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army–the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds–who returned from the battle.
15 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them.
16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD’s people.
17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.”
Not much commentary needed here. Biblegod ordered Moses to “take vengeance” on the Midianites. Moses took vengeance with 12,000 + soldiers. The Israelites killed all the men, burned the towns and camps and took all the women and children as prisoners
The soldiers herded the captive women and children back to Moses. General Moses was obviously upset. He ordered all the boys to be killed in addition to any woman who had slept with a man. Apparently that would have included the woman’s husband, now deceased.
But General Moses spared the virgin women and female children. They got to live. What happened to them and what purpose they served for the Israelites will have to be left to your imagination. Before it was all over most of them probably wish they had been killed too!!
Wanton wholesale, barbaric slaughter and cold blooded murder of helpless captives – the boys and non virgin women massacred. And we hear Christians tell us today of God’s love for us?
And we’re far from being through!
More Slaughter Ordered By Biblegod Including Old, Young And Little Children
Ezekiel 9: 4-6
And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem….let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women….”
I Samuel 15:2-3
Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did toIsrael, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up fromEgypt.
Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy  everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, childrem and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'”
Biblegod avenges the Israelites by totally destroying them. Why did He decide to destroy the Amalekites? Because when the Israelites were on their way out of Egypt, the Amalekites attacked them. The problem here is that the Amalakites had attacked the Israelites over four centuries prior to the command given to totally destroy them, including their children and suckling infants. Over four centuries before!
In other words, the Amalekites ancestors had attacked the Israelites over four centuries prior to the orders given for their massacre. No one in his right mind can possibly morally justify the murderous actions of the lunatic God the Israelites worshipped, who ordered a massacre over four hundred years after an attack. In addition to which the children, along with the others, were to be killed simply because they were not Israelites.
….Destroy Both The Young Man And The Virgin, The Suckling Also…
Here’s one more quotation – this time from Deuteronmy 32:25 attesting to the utter lack of morality and murderous nature of Biblegod. In addition, Biblegod makes a statement about remembrance that just isn’t true.
“The sword without, and terror within, shall destroy both the young man and the virgin, the suckling also with the man of gray hairs. I said, I would scatter them into corners, I would make the remembrance of them to cease from among men”**
**We still remember them. You just reminded us.
Christians Are Anti-Abortion ???
“The people of Samariamust bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open.”
While there is an abundance of violence, warring and killing in the Bible, the verses above. all include infants and children being killed. Young boys are executed as prisoners of war. Biblegod orders children and babies killed Babies are described as being thrown to the ground and pregnant women are “ripped open”. The carnage is all done either on direct orders from Biblegod or one of His earthly generals.
As much as fundamentalist Christians talk about Biblegod’s love for humanity, most have no problem in explaining the killing of infants and children by this loveable Biblegod. The most common I’ve heard are, “God is God and He can do anything He wants” and “It doesn’t matter that children are killed because God takes them right to heaven”. (Incidentally, I’ve never found that in the Bible.) In addition, some other explanations are that because people have sinned they must pay for their sins. If God chooses to kill infants and babies as punishment, then its OK. After all, He is God isn’t he?
Incidentally, although non virgin female prisoners of war were executed just for not being virgins, the young virgin girls were spared to, in all likelihod become slaves and sex object for their captors. Maybe I’m naieve but I’ve always wondered how the captors determined who was a virgin and who wasn’t.
In the past few years, extremists, some of them claiming to be born again fundamentalists, have burned and bombed abortion clinics and shot the clinic’s staff. Indeed, some staff and doctors have been murdered by these fanatics in the name of God. Yet the same God they worship has ordered pregnant women “ripped open”. their unborn babies sliced to death.
How anyone can be an anti abortionist and, at the same time, claim to be a Bible believing Christian is difficult to understand.
If these events actually happened as the Bible claims, Biblegod is a barabaric, evil, cruel, murdering demon. Actually, though, I rather suspect He is more likely the invention of the Israelite’s minds.
Whatever He is, He is the same one the fundamentalist Christians claim as their “God of Love”. Could this be the same God who said in Mark 10:15, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for thekingdomofGodbelongs to such as these.”
On Disciplining A Stubborn, Rebellious Son:
18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,
19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.
20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate* and a drunkard.”
21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.
*completely given up to dissipation and licentiousness; wildly extravagant.(Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary) (Deuteronomy 21:18-21 NIV)
Well, that’s a definite way to handle the problem. Permanently! If your son is stubborn and/or rebellious, just kill him. And this, incidentally, was the law. It was perfectly legal.
We spend millions of dollars on drug and alcohol rehabilitations centers each year because we are, as a nation, so firmly convinced of an individual’s worth and importance as a human being. Obviously, Biblegod didn’t have the same sentiments. Its also interesting that many of the religious right leaders claim our country is founded on biblical principles. It appears that our drug and alcohol rehab concepts weren’t exactly inspired by the Bible! If we followed Biblegod’s orders on this subject, there wouldn’t be any alcoholics or drug users. At least not for long!
“Go Back And Forth. . . Killing. . . Brother And Friend And Neighbour”
Moses, acting for the Lord, gets rid of some problems …by simply killing them. Not only the problems but also the brothers of the problems, the victim’s companions and the victim’s neighbors.
25 Moses saw that the people were running wild and that Aaron had let them get out of control and so become a laughingstock to their enemies.
26 So he stood at the entrance to the camp and said, “Whoever is for the LORD, come to me.” And all the Levites rallied to him.
27 Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: `Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.'”
28 The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died.
29 Then Moses said, “You have been set apart to the LORD today, for you were against your own sons and brothers, and he has blessed you this day.”
(Exodus 32:25-29 NIV)
Killing and violence is a way of life to Biblegod and his generals and other followers. Of course the bibliolaters respond with “God’s ways are not our ways” and “He’s God. He can do anything He wants”. And that includes not having to follow His own rules. Wholesale killing ordered by Biblegod seems to be the order of the day in the Old Testament
Pat Robertson explains below why Biblegod murders, massacres and exterminates both individuals and entire nations:
“Maybe evil demons helped men write this Bible, creating a false religion to keep man away from god and the real religion.
That would explain a lot….”
The ancient Hebrews. . . in their sacred writings . . . attributed many of the massacres they committed to orders or commands from Yahweh. Probably some of these massacres happened, and no doubt the ancient Hebrews who committed them thought that they were obeying their god Yahweh. Reality, however, is that no god had anything to do with the atrocities committed by ancient, barbaric people. The tragedy is that there are millions of Christians who believe that these massacres happened just as the Bible says, and so they think that God ordered the killing of children and babies. They lean over backwards . . . to try to explain why an all-merciful God would have ordered the killing of children. So the problem is not what ancient people said in the writings they left behind in highly superstitious times; the problem is the people in our enlightened times who are still so shackled to superstition that they believe the ancient ones were writing inerrant truths. Farrell Till (in March 9, 1999, email to email@example.com)
(From A Skeptic’s View Of Christianity by Joseph Alward.
We have no reason to believe that there is a God of any kind whatsoever and if there is It certainly is not loving or caring, allowing as It does, all manner of pain and suffering in the world all of which, if It is truely almighty It could easily stop.
Theism, whether at its best( Judaism ) or at its worst ( Islam ) has an inherent tendency to promote division and hate between people and deserves to meet the same fate as its soulmates Naziism and Communism
Christians! Here are a few short God inspired Bible passages to read to your kids at bedtime. Being from the Word Of God, what a wonderful time impress them upon a child’s mind – just before he/she goes to sleep!
“If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or mother, then his father and mother shall seize him and bring him out to the elders of the city…then all the men of the city shall stone him to death.” Deut 21:18
“If anyone secretly entices you–even if it is your brother, your father’s son or your mother’s son, or your own son or daughter, or the wife you embrace, or your most intimate friend– saying, “Let us go worship other gods” you must not yield to or heed any such persons. Show them no pity or compassion and do not shield them. But you shall surely KILL them; your own hand shall be first against them to execute them, and then the hand of all the people. Stone them to death for trying to turn you away from the Lord your God.” Deut 13:6-10
“A curse on him who is lax in doing the Lord’s work! A curse on him who keeps his sword from bloodshed!” Jer 48:10
“I will strew your flesh upon the mountains, and fill the valleys with your carcass. I will drench the land even to the mountains with your flowing blood…” Ez 32/ 5,6
“Therefore fathers shall eat their sons in the midst of you and sons shall eat their fathers…I will send famine and wild beasts against you and they shall rob you of your children; pestilence and blood shall pass through you; and I will bring a sword upon you.” Ez 5/ 10,17
“Behold, I will corrupt your seed and spread dung upon your faces…” Mal 2/ 3
“Pass through the city after him, and smite; your eye shall not spare and you shall show no pity; slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women…” Ez 9 / 5,6
“I gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not have life; and I defiled them through their very gifts in making them offer by fire all their first born, that I might horrify them; that they might know that I am the Lord. Ezekiel 20: 25-26
“…I will raise up evil against you out of your own house; I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the light of this sun.” 2 Sam 12/ 11
“Samar’ia shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open.” Hos 13/ 16
God, speaking of His people,Israel: “I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs; I will tear open their breast, and there I will devour them like a lion, as a wild beast would rend them.” Hos 13:8
The same God watches over you while you sleep! Sweet dreams, kids! Goodbye. Goodnight.
The following information was taken (cut and pasted) from http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5195/victims.html on December 16, 2002. Sometimes pages disappear and the information on this website is far too valuable to loose.
“WONDERFUL EVENTS THAT TESTIFY TO GOD’S DIVINE GLORY”
Listed are only events that solely occurred on command or participation of church authorities or were committed in the name of Christianity. (List incomplete)
- As soon as Christianity became legal in theRoman Empireby imperial edict (315), more and more pagan temples were destroyed by Christian mob. Pagan priests were killed.
- Between 315 and 6th century thousands of pagan believers were slain.
- Examples of destroyedTemples: the Sanctuary of Aesculap in Aegaea, theTempleofAphroditein Golgatha, Aphaka inLebanon, theHeliopolis.
- Christian priests such as Mark of Arethusa or Cyrill of Heliopolis were famous as “temple destroyer.” [DA468]
- Pagan services became punishable by death in 356. [DA468]
- Christian Emperor Theodosius (408-450) even had children executed, because they had been playing with remains of pagan statues. [DA469]
According to Christian chroniclers he “followed meticulously all Christian teachings…”
- In 6th century pagans were declared void of all rights.
- In the early fourth century the philosopher Sopatros was executed on demand of Christian authorities. [DA466]
- The world famous female philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria was torn to pieces with glass fragments by a hysterical Christian mob led by a Christian minister named Peter, in a church, in 415.
- Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons, unwilling to convert to Christianity, beheaded. [DO30]
- Peasants of Steding (Germany) unwilling to pay suffocating church taxes: between 5,000 and 11,000 men, women and children slain 5/27/1234 near Altenesch/Germany. [WW223]
- 15th centuryPoland: 1019 churches and 17987 villages plundered by Knights of the Order. Number of victims unknown. [DO30]
- 16th and 17th century Ireland. English troops “pacified and civilized” Ireland, where only Gaelic “wild Irish”, “unreasonable beasts lived without any knowledge of God or good manners, in common of their goods, cattle, women, children and every other thing.” One of the more successful soldiers, a certain Humphrey Gilbert, half-brother of Sir Walter Raleigh, ordered that “the heddes of all those (of what sort soever thei were) which were killed in the daie, should be cutte off from their bodies… and should bee laied on the ground by eche side of the waie”, which effort to civilize the Irish indeed caused “greate terrour to the people when thei sawe the heddes of their dedde fathers, brothers, children, kinsfolke, and freinds on the grounde”.
Tens of thousands of Gaelic Irish fell victim to the carnage. [SH99, 225]
- First Crusade: 1095 on command of pope Urban II. [WW11-41]
- Semlin/Hungary 6/24/96 thousands slain. Wieselburg/Hungary 6/12/96 thousands. [WW23]
- 9/9/96-9/26/96 Nikaia, Xerigordon (then Turkish), thousands respectively. [WW25-27]
- Until January 1098 a total of 40 capital cities and 200 castles conquered (number of slain unknown) [WW30]
- After 6/3/98 Antiochia (then Turkish) conquered, between 10,000 and 60,000 slain. 6/28/98 100,000 Turks (incl. women and children) killed. [WW32-35]
Here the Christians “did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy’s] tents – save that they ran their lances through their bellies,” according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres. [EC60]
- Marra (Maraat an-numan) 12/11/98 thousands killed. Because of the subsequent famine “the already stinking corpses of the enemies were eaten by the Christians” said chronicler Albert Aquensis. [WW36]
- Jerusalemconquered 7/15/1099 more than 60,000 victims (Jewish, Muslim, men, women, children). [WW37-40]
In the words of one witness: “there [in front of Solomon’s temple] was such a carnage that our people were wading ankle-deep in the blood of our foes”, and after that “happily and crying for joy our people marched to our Saviour’s tomb, to honour it and to pay off our debt of gratitude.”
- The Archbishop of Tyre, eye-witness, wrote: “It was impossible to look upon the vast numbers of the slain without horror; everywhere lay fragments of human bodies, and the very ground was covered with the blood of the slain. It was not alone the spectacle of headless bodies and mutilated limbs strewn in all directions that roused the horror of all who looked upon them. Still more dreadful was it to gaze upon the victors themselves, dripping with blood from head to foot, an ominous sight which brought terror to all who met them. It is reported that within theTempleenclosure alone about ten thousand infidels perished.” [TG79]
- Christian chronicler Eckehard of Aura noted that “even the following summer in all ofPalestinethe air was polluted by the stench of decomposition”. One million victims of the first crusade alone. [WW41]
- Battle of Askalon, 8/12/1099. 200,000 heathens slaughtered “in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ”. [WW45]
- Fourth crusade: 4/12/1204Constantinoplesacked, number of victims unknown, numerous thousands, many of them Christian. [WW141-148]
- Rest of Crusades in less detail: until the fall of Akkon 1291 probably 20 million victims (in theHoly landand Arab/Turkish areas alone). [WW224]
Note: All figures according to contemporary (Christian) chroniclers.
Heretics and Atheists
- Already in 385 C.E. the first Christians, the Spanish Priscillianus and six followers, were beheaded for heresy in Trier/Germany [DO26]
- Manichaean heresy: a crypto-Christian sect decent enough to practice birth control (and thus not as irresponsible as faithful Catholics) was exterminated in huge campaigns all over theRoman empirebetween 372 C.E. and 444 C.E. Numerous thousands of victims. [NC]
- Albigensians: the first Crusade intended to slay other Christians. [DO29]
The Albigensians (Cathars) viewed themselves as good Christians, but would not accept Roman Catholic rule, and taxes, and prohibition of birth control. [NC]
Begin of violence: on command of pope Innocent III (the greatest single mass murderer prior to the Nazi era) in 1209. Beziérs (today France) 7/22/1209 destroyed, all the inhabitants were slaughtered. Number of victims (including Catholics refusing to turn over their heretic neighbors and friends) estimated between 20,000-70,000. [WW179-181]
- Carcassonne8/15/1209, thousands slain. Other cities followed. [WW181]
- Subsequent 20 years of war until nearly all Cathars (probably half the population of theLanguedoc, today southernFrance) were exterminated. [WW183]
- After the war ended (1229) the Inquisition was founded 1232 to search and destroy surviving/hiding heretics. Last Cathars burned at the stake 1324. [WW183]
- Estimated one million victims (Cathar heresy alone), [WW183]
- Other heresies: Waldensians, Paulikians, Runcarians, Josephites, and many others. Most of these sects exterminated, (I believe some Waldensians live today, yet they had to endure 600 years of persecution) I estimate at least hundred thousand victims (including the Spanish inquisition but excluding victims in theNew World).
- Spanish Inquisitor Torquemada, a former Dominican friar, allegedly was responsible for 10,220 burnings. [DO28]
- John Huss, a critic of papal infallibility and indulgences, was burned at the stake in 1415. [LI475-522]
- Michael Sattler, leader of a baptist community, was burned at the stake inRottenburg,Germany, May 20, 1527. Several days later his wife and other follwers were also executed. [KM]
- University professor B.Hubmaier burned at the stake 1538 inVienna. [DO59]
- Giordano Bruno, Dominican monk, after having been incarcerated for seven years, was burned at the stake for heresy on the Campo dei Fiori (Rome) on 2/17/1600.
- Thomas Aikenhead, a twenty-year-old scottish student ofEdinburghUniversity, was hanged for atheism and blasphemy.
- From the beginning of Christianity to 1484 probably more than several thousand.
- In the era of witch hunting (1484-1750) according to modern scholars several hundred thousand (about 80% female) burned at the stake or hanged. [WV]
- Incomplete list of documented cases:
The Burning of Witches – A Chronicle of the Burning Times
- 15th century: Crusades against Hussites, thousands slain. [DO30]
- 1538 pope Paul III declared Crusade against apostateEnglandand all English as slaves of Church (fortunately had not power to go into action). [DO31]
- 1568 Spanish Inquisition Tribunal ordered extermination of 3 million rebels in (then Spanish) Netherlands. [DO31]
Between 5000 and 6000 Protestants were drowned by Spanish Catholic Troops, “a disaster the burghers ofEmden first realized when several thousand broad-brimmed Dutch hats floated by.” [SH216]
- 1572 InFranceabout 20,000 Huguenots were killed on command of pope Pius V. Until 17th century 200,000 flee. [DO31]
- 17th century: Catholics slay Gaspard de Coligny, a Protestant leader. After murdering him, the Catholic mob mutilated his body, “cutting off his head, his hands, and his genitals… and then dumped him into the river […but] then, deciding that it was not worthy of being food for the fish, they hauled it out again [… and] dragged what was left … to the gallows of Montfaulcon, ‘to be meat and carrion for maggots and crows’.” [SH191]
- 17th century: Catholics sack the city ofMagdeburg/Germany: roughly 30,000 Protestants were slain. “In a single church fifty women were found beheaded,” reported poet Friedrich Schiller, “and infants still sucking the breasts of their lifeless mothers.” [SH191]
- 17th century 30 years’ war (Catholic vs. Protestant): at least 40% of population decimated, mostly inGermany. [DO31-32]
- Already in the 4th and 5th centuries synagogues were burned by Christians. Number of Jews slain unknown.
- In the middle of the fourth century the first synagogue was destroyed on command of bishop Innocentius of Dertona inNorthern Italy. The first synagogue known to have been burned down was near the river Euphrat, on command of the bishop of Kallinikon in the year 388. [DA450]
- 694 17. Council ofToledo: Jews were enslaved, their property confiscated, and their children forcibly baptized. [DA454]
- 1010 The Bishop ofLimoges(France) had the cities’ Jews, who would not convert to Christianity, expelled or killed. [DA453]
- 1096 First Crusade: Thousands of Jews slaughtered, maybe 12.000 total. Places: Worms 5/18/1096, Mainz 5/27/1096 (1100 persons), Cologne, Neuss, Altenahr, Wevelinghoven, Xanten, Moers, Dortmund, Kerpen, Trier, Metz, Regensburg, Prag and others (All locations Germany except Metz/France, Prag/Czech) [EJ]
- 1147 Second Crusade: Several hundred Jews were slain in Ham, Sully, Carentan, and Rameru (all locations inFrance). [WW57]
- 1189/90 Third Crusade: English Jewish communities sacked. [DO40]
- 1235, Fulda/Germany: 34 Jewish men and women slain. [DO41]
- 1257, 1267: Jewish communities ofLondon,Canterbury,Northampton,Lincoln,Cambridge, and others exterminated. [DO41]
- 1290Bohemia(Poland) allegedly 10,000 Jews killed. [DO41]
- 1337 Starting in Deggendorf/Germany a Jew-killing craze reaches 51 towns inBavaria,Austria,Poland. [DO41]
- 1348 All Jews of Basel/Switzerland and Strasbourg/France (two thousand) burned. [DO41]
- 1349 In more than 350 towns inGermanyall Jews murdered, mostly burned alive (in this one year more Jews were killed than Christians in 200 years of ancient Roman persecution of Christians). [DO42]
- 1389 In Prag 3,000 Jews were slaughtered. [DO42]
- 1391Seville’s Jews killed (Archbishop Martinez leading). 4,000 were slain, 25,000 sold as slaves. [DA454] Their identification was made easy by the brightly colored “badges of shame” that all Jews above the age of ten had been forced to wear.
- 1492 In the yearColumbusset sail to conquer a New World, more than 150,000 Jews were expelled fromSpain, many died on their way: 6/30/1492. [MM470-476]
- 1648 Chmielnitzki massacres: InPolandabout 200,000 Jews were slain. [DO43]
(I feel sick …) this goes on and on, century after century, right into the kilns ofAuschwitz.
- Beginning with Columbus (a former slave trader and would-be Holy Crusader) the conquest of theNew Worldbegan, as usual understood as a means to propagate Christianity.
- Within hours of landfall on the first inhabited island he encountered in the Caribbean, Columbus seized and carried off six native people who, he said, “ought to be good servants … [and] would easily be made Christians, because it seemed to me that they belonged to no religion.” [SH200]
WhileColumbus described the Indians as “idolators” and “slaves, as many as [the Crown] shall order,” his pal Michele de Cuneo, Italian nobleman, referred to the natives as “beasts” because “they eat when they are hungry,” and made love “openly whenever they feel like it.” [SH204-205]
- On every island he set foot on, Columbusplanted a cross, “making the declarations that are required” – the requerimiento – to claim the ownership for his Catholic patrons in Spain. And “nobody objected.” If the Indians refused or delayed their acceptance (or understanding), the requerimiento continued:
“I certify to you that, with the help of God, we shall powerfully enter in your country and shall make war against you … and shall subject you to the yoke and obedience of the Church … and shall do you all mischief that we can, as to vassals who do not obey and refuse to receive their lord and resist and contradict him.” [SH66]
- Likewise in the words of John Winthrop, first governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony: “justifieinge the undertakeres of the intendedPlantationinNew England… to carry the Gospell into those parts of the world, … and to raise a Bulworke against the kingdome of the Ante-Christ.” [SH235]
- In average two thirds of the native population were killed by colonist-imported smallpox before violence began. This was a great sign of “the marvelous goodness and providence of God” to the Christians of course, e.g. the Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony wrote in 1634, as “for the natives, they are near all dead of the smallpox, so as the Lord hath cleared our title to what we possess.” [SH109,238]
- On Hispaniola alone, onColumbusvisits, the native population (Arawak), a rather harmless and happy people living on an island of abundant natural resources, a literal paradise, soon mourned 50,000 dead. [SH204]
- The surviving Indians fell victim to rape, murder, enslavement and Spanish raids.
- As one of the culprits wrote: “So many Indians died that they could not be counted, all through the land the Indians lay dead everywhere. The stench was very great and pestiferous.” [SH69]
- The Indian chief Hatuey fled with his people but was captured and burned alive. As “they were tying him to the stake a Franciscan friar urged him to take Jesus to his heart so that his soul might go to heaven, rather than descend into hell. Hatuey replied that if heaven was where the Christians went, he would rather go to hell.” [SH70]
- What happened to his people was described by an eyewitness:
“The Spaniards found pleasure in inventing all kinds of odd cruelties … They built a long gibbet, long enough for the toes to touch the ground to prevent strangling, and hanged thirteen [natives] at a time in honor of Christ Our Saviour and the twelve Apostles… then, straw was wrapped around their torn bodies and they were burned alive.” [SH72]
Or, on another occasion:
“The Spaniards cut off the arm of one, the leg or hip of another, and from some their heads at one stroke, like butchers cutting up beef and mutton for market. Six hundred, including the cacique, were thus slain like brute beasts…Vasco [de Balboa] ordered forty of them to be torn to pieces by dogs.” [SH83]
- The “island’s population of about eight million people at the time of Columbus’s arrival in 1492 already had declined by a third to a half before the year 1496 was out.” Eventually all the island’s natives were exterminated, so the Spaniards were “forced” to import slaves from other caribbean islands, who soon suffered the same fate. Thus “theCaribbean’s millions of native people [were] thereby effectively liquidated in barely a quarter of a century”. [SH72-73] “In less than the normal lifetime of a single human being, an entire culture of millions of people, thousands of years resident in their homeland, had been exterminated.” [SH75]
- “And then the Spanish turned their attention to the mainland ofMexicoandCentral America. The slaughter had barely begun. The exquisite city ofTenochtitlán[Mexico city] was next.” [SH75]
- Cortez, Pizarro,De Sotoand hundreds of other Spanish conquistadors likewise sacked southern and mesoamerican civilizations in the name of Christ (De Sotoalso sackedFlorida).
- “When the 16th century ended, some 200,000 Spaniards had moved to theAmericas. By that time probably more than 60,000,000 natives were dead.” [SH95]
Of course no different were the founders of what today is the US of America.
- Although none of the settlers would have survived winter without native help, they soon set out to expel and exterminate the Indians. Warfare among (north American) Indians was rather harmless, in comparison to European standards, and was meant to avenge insults rather than conquer land. In the words of some of the pilgrim fathers: “Their Warres are farre less bloudy…”, so that there usually was “no great slawter of nether side”. Indeed, “they might fight seven yeares and not kill seven men.” What is more, the Indians usually spared women and children. [SH111]
- In the spring of 1612 some English colonists found life among the (generally friendly and generous) natives attractive enough to leave Jamestown- “being idell … did runne away unto the Indyans,” – to live among them (that probably solved a sex problem).
“Governor Thomas Dale had them hunted down and executed: ‘Some he apointed (sic) to be hanged Some burned Some to be broken upon wheles, others to be staked and some shott to deathe’.” [SH105] Of course these elegant measures were restricted for fellow Englishmen: “This was the treatment for those who wished to act like Indians. For those who had no choice in the matter, because they were the native people of Virginia” methods were different: “when an Indian was accused by an Englishman of stealing a cup and failing to return it, the English response was to attack the natives in force, burning the entire community” down. [SH105]
- On the territory that is nowMassachusettsthe founding fathers of the colonies were committing genocide, in what has become known as the “Peqout War.” The killers were New England Puritan Christians, refugees from persecution in their own home countryEngland.
- When however, a dead colonist was found, apparently killed by Narragansett Indians, the Puritan colonists wanted revenge. Despite the Indian chief’s pledge they attacked.
Somehow they seem to have lost the idea of what they were after, because when they were greeted by Pequot Indians (long-time foes of the Narragansetts) the troops nevertheless made war on the Pequots and burned their villages.
The puritan commander-in-charge John Mason after one massacre wrote: “And indeed such a dreadful Terror did the Almighty let fall upon their Spirits, that they would fly from us and run into the very Flames, where many of them perished … God was above them, who laughed his Enemies and the Enemies of his People to Scorn, making them as a fiery Oven … Thus did the Lord judge among the Heathen, filling the Place with dead Bodies”: men, women, children. [SH113-114]
- So “the Lord was pleased to smite our Enemies in the hinder Parts, and to give us their land for an inheritance”. [SH111].
- Because of his readers’ assumed knowledge of Deuteronomy, there was no need for Mason to quote the words that immediately follow:
“Thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth. But thou shalt utterly destroy them…” (Deut 20)
- Mason’s comrade Underhill recalled how “great and doleful was the bloody sight to the view of the young soldiers” yet reassured his readers that “sometimes the Scripture declareth women and children must perish with their parents”. [SH114]
- Other Indians were killed in successful plots of poisoning. The colonists even had dogs especially trained to kill Indians and to devour children from their mothers breasts, in the colonists’ own words: “blood Hounds to draw after them, and Mastives to seaze them.” (This was inspired by Spanish methods of the time)
In this way they continued until the extermination of the Pequots was near. [SH107-119]
- The surviving handful of Indians “were parceled out to live in servitude. John Endicott and his pastor wrote to the governor asking for ‘a share’ of the captives, specifically ‘a young woman or girle and a boy if you thinke good’.” [SH115]
- Other tribes were to follow the same path.
- Comment the Christian exterminators: “God’s Will, which will at last give us cause to say: How Great is His Goodness! and How Great is his Beauty!”
“Thus doth the Lord Jesus make them to bow before him, and to lick the Dust!” [TA]
- Like today, lying was morally acceptable to Christians then. “Peace treaties were signed with every intention to violate them: when the Indians ‘grow secure uppon (sic) the treatie’, advised the Council of State inVirginia, ‘we shall have the better Advantage both to surprise them, & cutt downe theire Corne’.” [SH106]
- In 1624 sixty heavily armed Englishmen cut down 800 defenseless Indian men, women and children. [SH107]
- In a single massacre in “King Philip’s War” of 1675 and 1676 some “600 Indians were destroyed. A delighted Cotton Mather, revered pastor of theSecondChurchinBoston, later referred to the slaughter as a ‘barbeque’.” [SH115]
- To summarize: Before the arrival of the English, the western Abenaki people inNew HampshireandVermonthad numbered 12,000. Less than half a century later about 250 remained alive – a destruction rate of 98%. The Pocumtuck people had numbered more than 18,000, fifty years later they were down to 920 – 95% destroyed. The Quiripi-Unquachog people had numbered about 30,000, fifty years later they were down to 1500 – 95% destroyed. TheMassachusettspeople had numbered at least 44,000, fifty years later barely 6000 were alive – 81% destroyed. [SH118] These are only a few examples of the multitude of tribes living before Christian colonists set their foot on theNew World. All this was before the smallpox epidemics of 1677 and 1678 had occurred. And the carnage was not over then.
- All the above was only the beginning of the European colonization, it was before the frontier age actually had begun.
- A total of maybe more than 150 million Indians (of both Americas) were destroyed in the period of 1500 to 1900, as an average two thirds by smallpox and other epidemics, that leaves some 50 million killed directly by violence, bad treatment and slavery.
- In many countries, such asBrazil, andGuatemala, this continues even today.
More Glorious Events in U.S. History
- Reverend Solomon Stoddard, one ofNew England’s most esteemed religious leaders, in “1703 formally proposed to the Massachusetts Governor that the colonists be given the financial wherewithal to purchase and train large packs of dogs ‘to hunt Indians as they do bears’.” [SH241]
- Massacre of Sand Creek, Colorado11/29/1864. Colonel John Chivington, a former Methodist minister and still elder in the church (“I long to be wading in gore”) had a Cheyennevillage of about 600, mostly women and children, gunned down despite the chiefs’ waving with a white flag: 400-500 killed.
From an eye-witness account: “There were some thirty or forty squaws collected in a hole for protection; they sent out a little girl about six years old with a white flag on a stick; she had not proceeded but a few steps when she was shot and killed. All the squaws in that hole were afterwards killed …” [SH131]
More gory details.
- By the 1860s, “in Hawai’i the Reverend Rufus Anderson surveyed the carnage that by then had reduced those islands’ native population by 90 percent or more, and he declined to see it as tragedy; the expected total die-off of the Hawaiian population was only natural, this missionary said, somewhat equivalent to ‘the amputation of diseased members of the body’.” [SH244]
20th Century Church Atrocities
- Catholic extermination camps
Surprisingly few know that Nazi extermination camps in World War II were by no means the only ones in Europe at the time. In the years 1942-1943 also in Croatia existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveliç, a practicing Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. There were even concentration camps exclusively for children!
In these camps – the most notorious was Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar – orthodox-Christian Serbians (and a substantial number of Jews) were murdered. Like the Nazis the Catholic Ustasha burned their victims in kilns, alive (the Nazis were decent enough to have their victims gassed first). But most of the victims were simply stabbed, slain or shot to death, the number of them being estimated between 300,000 and 600,000, in a rather tiny country. Many of the killers were Franciscan friars. The atrocities were appalling enough to induce bystanders of the Nazi “Sicherheitsdienst der SS”, watching, to complain about them to Hitler (who did not listen). The pope knew about these events and did nothing to prevent them. [MV]
- Catholic terror in Vietnam
In 1954 Vietnamese freedom fighters – the Viet Minh – had finally defeated the French colonial government in North Vietnam, which by then had been supported by U.S. funds amounting to more than $2 billion. Although the victorious assured religious freedom to all (most non-Buddhist Vietnamese were Catholics), due to huge anticommunist propaganda campaigns many Catholics fled to the South. With the help of Catholic lobbies in Washington and Cardinal Spellman, the Vatican’s spokesman in U.S. politics, who later on would call the U.S. forces in Vietnam “Soldiers of Christ”, a scheme was concocted to prevent democratic elections which could have brought the communist Viet Minh to power in the South as well, and the fanatic Catholic Ngo Dinh Diem was made president of South Vietnam. [MW16ff]
Diem saw to it that U.S. aid, food, technical and general assistance was given to Catholics alone, Buddhist individuals and villages were ignored or had to pay for the food aids which were given to Catholics for free. The only religious denomination to be supported was Roman Catholicism.
The Vietnamese McCarthyism turned even more vicious than its American counterpart. By 1956 Diem promulgated a presidential order which read:
“Individuals considered dangerous to the national defense and common security may be confined by executive order, to a concentration camp.”
Supposedly to fight communism, thousands of Buddhist protesters and monks were imprisoned in “detention camps.” Out of protest dozens of Buddhist teachers – male and female – and monks poured gasoline over themselves and burned themselves. (Note that Buddhists burned themselves: in comparison Christians tend to burn others). Meanwhile some of the prison camps, which in the meantime were filled with Protestant and even Catholic protesters as well, had turned into no-nonsense death camps. It is estimated that during this period of terror (1955-1960) at least 24,000 were wounded – mostly in street riots – 80,000 people were executed, 275,000 had been detained or tortured, and about 500,000 were sent to concentration or detention camps. [MW76-89].
To support this kind of government in the next decade thousands of American GI’s lost their life.
- Christianity kills the cat
On July 1, 1976, Anneliese Michel, a 23-year-old student of a teachers college in Germany, died: she starved herself to death. For months she had been haunted by demonic visions and apparitions, and for months two Catholic priests – with explicit approval of the Catholic bishop of Würzburg – additionally pestered and tormented the wretched girl with their exorcist rituals. After her death in Klingenberg hospital – her body was littered with wounds – her parents, both of them fanatical Catholics, were sentenced to six months for not having called for medical help. None of the priests was punished: on the contrary, Miss Michel’s grave today is a place of pilgrimage and worship for a number of similarly faithful Catholics (in the seventeenth century Würzburg was notorious for it’s extensive witch burnings).
This case is only the tip of an iceberg of such evil superstition and has become known only because of its lethal outcome. [SP80]
In 1994 in the small African country of Rwanda in just a few months several hundred thousand civilians were butchered, apparently a conflict of the Hutu and Tutsi ethnic groups.
For quite some time I heard only rumors about Catholic clergy actively involved in the 1994 Rwanda massacres. Odd denials of involvement were printed in Catholic church journals, before even anybody had openly accused members of the church.
Then, 10/10/96, in the newscast of S2Aktuell,Germany – a station not at all critical to Christianity – the following was stated:
“Anglican as well as Catholic priests and nuns are suspect of having actively participated in murders. Especially the conduct of a certain Catholic priest has been occupying the public mind in Rwanda’s capital Kigalifor months. He was minister of the church of the Holy Family and allegedly murdered Tutsis in the most brutal manner. He is reported to have accompanied marauding Hutu militia with a gun in his cowl. In fact there has been a bloody slaughter of Tutsis seeking shelter in his parish. Even two years after the massacres many Catholics refuse to set foot on the threshold of their church, because to them the participation of a certain part of the clergy in the slaughter is well established. There is almost no church in Rwandathat has not seen refugees – women, children, old – being brutally butchered facing the crucifix.
According to eyewitnesses clergymen gave away hiding Tutsis and turned them over to the machetes of the Hutu militia.
In connection with these events again and again two Benedictine nuns are mentioned, both of whom have fled into a Belgian monastery in the meantime to avoid prosecution. According to survivors one of them called the Hutu killers and led them to several thousand people who had sought shelter in her monastery. By force the doomed were driven out of the churchyard and were murdered in the presence of the nun right in front of the gate. The other one is also reported to have directly cooperated with the murderers of the Hutu militia. In her case again witnesses report that she watched the slaughtering of people in cold blood and without showing response. She is even accused of having procured some petrol used by the killers to set on fire and burn their victims alive…” [S2]
More recently the BBC aired:
Priests get death sentence for Rwandan genocide
BBC NEWS April 19, 1998
A court inRwandahas sentenced two Roman Catholic priests to death for their role in the genocide of 1994, in which up to a million Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed. Pope John Paul said the priests must be made to account for their actions. Different sections of the Rwandan church have been widely accused of playing an active role in the genocide of 1994…
- As can be seen from these events, to Christianity the Dark Ages never come to an end.
If today Christians talk to me about morality, this is why they make me sick.
K.Deschner, Abermals krähte der Hahn, Stuttgart 1962.
K.Deschner, Opus Diaboli, Reinbek 1987.
P.W.Edbury, Crusade and Settlement,CardiffUniv. Press 1985.
S.Eidelberg, The Jews and the Crusaders, Madison 1977.
Hunter, M., Wootton, D., Atheism from the Reformation to the Enlightenment,Oxford 1992.
Schröder-Kappus, E., Wagner, W., Michael Sattler. Ein Märtyrer in Rottenburg, Tübingen, TVT Media 1992.
H.C.Lea, The Inquisition of the Middle Ages,New York 1961.
M.Margolis, A.Marx, A History of the Jewish People.
A.Manhattan, The Vatican’s Holocaust, Springfield 1986.
See also V.Dedijer, The Yugoslav Auschwitz and the Vatican,BuffaloNY, 1992.
J.T.Noonan, Contraception: A History of its Treatment by the Catholic Theologians and Canonists, Cambridge/Mass., 1992.
Newscast of S2 Aktuell,Germany, 10/10/96, 12:00.
D.Stannard, American Holocaust,OxfordUniversity Press 1992.
German news magazine Der Spiegel, no.49, 12/2/1996.
A True Account of the Most Considerable Occurrences that have Hapned in the Warre Between the English and the Indians in New England, London 1676.
F.Turner, Beyond Geography,New York 1980.
H.Wollschläger: Die bewaffneten Wallfahrten gen Jerusalem, Zürich 1973.
(This is in german and what is worse, it is out of print. But it is the best I ever read about crusades and includes a full list of original medieval Christian chroniclers’ writings).
Estimates on the number of executed witches:
- N.Cohn, Europe‘s Inner Demons: An Enquiry Inspired by the Great Witch Hunt, Frogmore 1976, 253.
- R.H.Robbins, The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology,New York 1959, 180.
- J.B.Russell, Witchcraft in the Middle Ages, Ithaca/NY 1972, 39.
- H.Zwetsloot, Friedrich Spee und die Hexenprozesse, Trier 1954, 56.